Saturday, June 21, 2008

Sunday Reflections : Capitulation

09/09/07
Sunday Reflections : Capitulation
Since this is not a word used in everyday english, let's pay a visit to Merriam Webster, shall we?

Main Entry: ca·pit·u·la·tion
Pronunciation: k&-"pi-ch&-'lA-sh&n
Function: noun
1 : a set of terms or articles constituting an agreement between governments
2 a : the act of surrendering or yielding b : the terms of surrender

It is this second definition that I would like to focus on. Capitulation is the point where all of your past mistakes and triumphs come into sharp focus. The point of surrender need not be a bad thing - the capitulation of Jesus Christ to sin was the start of the most glorious event in the history of mankind.

I have often wondered aloud about the power of capitulation. Stock Markets inevitable rally after sharp corrections. Stories of people's lives being turned around by a close call (whether it be due to conflict or illness) are many.

Our church's 4 year bible reading program is currently going through the first psalms. We are currently about at the point where David changes from a well respected and powerful prince-like official in Saul's Jewish kingdom and is suddenly exiled. In my reading, David is afraid during the transition - going from a person of power to a person in exile. But what strikes me is David's reawakening to God during his exile. He proclaims that God will not forget him, even in his grave.

Our pastor spoke last night that transition - change - is painful. And can I ever testify to that. Since December of last year at work we have feared for our jobs, at first from downsizing and now due to a pending acquisition of the company. I just really want that capitulation right now. I feel like someone who has not slept for days, nervous and frayed at the edges. And yet I maintain my commitment, my promise to God that I will not forget my faith as I look for the exit in all of this.

God Bless You All. Have a Great Week.

No comments: